Walking is the No. 1 exercise I warmly recommend to everyone who wants to lose weight or keep fit because it is easy to do, requires nothing but a pair of running shoes. At the same time, walking has awesome mental and physical benefits.
If you start walking for just 30 minutes every day, most days of the week, here’s what you can expect…. This walking plan to lose weight fast has various health benefits. Let’s have a quick look at the most important ones:
Walking improves Heart Health
Regulates Blood Pressure
Strengthens Bones and Muscles
Increases Lung Capacity
Helps Produce Vitamin D
Delays Aging etc.
TIPS FOR WALKING IN ORDER TO LOSE WEIGHT
–CHOOSE THE RIGHT SHOES – The only “equipment” necessary for walking are shoes. “Walking shoes” should have flexible soles and should be comfortable, cushioned, lightweight.
-WALKING PLAN – this plan is important because it will maximize your losing weight results. The first four to six weeks are what’s called the initial conditioning phase. Weeks 5 to 12 are what’s called the improvement conditioning phase.
– KNOW YOUR ROUTE – It’s good to have a clear idea of where you’ll be walking on any given day. You’ll feel comfortable and confident. You won’t waste any walking time figuring out a route on the fly.
– FIND A WALKING BUDDY – Various studies confirm that having a strong support group is vital to achieving weight loss success.
– VARY YOUR WALKING PACE – It’s interesting to know that walking at varying speeds can burn up to 20 percent more calories compared to maintaining a steady pace.
– PAIR YOUR WALK WITH H2O – The researchers estimate that increasing water intake by 1.5 liters a day would burn an extra 17,400 calories over the course of the year. Now imagine maximizing that water weight loss hack with metabolism boosting walk. Read More…
– DO MORE INCIDENTAL WALKING: park your car further away from your destination and walk the extra distance/ take the stairs instead of the lift / walk the children to school etc.
– ADD SOME HIGH-INTENSITY WALKS TO YOUR WALKING PLAN – Do at least 20 minutes of high-intensity walking 2-3 times a week as you’ll burn more fat during and after these cardio-intensive workouts.
– DON’T FORGET YOUR DIET – Whether you are walking for fitness or fat loss, your diet should match your exercise goals. The best way is to combine your walking goals with Med Diet – healthy diet with a lot of fresh vegetables, fruit and healthy snacks on everyday base. Read more HERE.
Walking is simple, enjoyable and recommended by thousands of doctors. You can do it virtually anywhere. And, when it’s done right, walking can blast away fat as fast as jogging. Maybe faster…
“30 MINUTES FOR 30 DAYS” CHALLENGE
For this “30 minutes for 30 days” challenge don’t do any other exercise than some stretching to keep your muscles supple. It doesn’t matter if you walk the whole 30-minutes in a single walk or do three 10-minute walks spread throughout the day. By walking every day, you give your fitness and weight loss a great kick start!
HOW FAST SHOULD YOU WALK? AND HOW CAN YOU INCREASE YOUR INTENSITY?
You need to start off with a pace that’s comfortable for you. Start walking on a flat terrain. Once you’re a few weeks into the walking program, you can increase the intensity by slowing adding hilly terrain or increasing your walking speed.
And… focus on duration at first. If you can walk, say, 15 minutes at a certain pace comfortably, you’re ready to walk a bit faster for the same 15 minutes.
WALKING PLAN TO LOSE WEIGHT FAST:
The first 4-6 weeks are what’s called the initial conditioning phase. If you find that the first week is too easy, slightly increase the duration or intensity. If you find it too difficult, decrease the duration and intensity to a comfortable level. If at any time you feel the need to repeat a week, feel free to do so.
WEEK WALKS PER WEEK WARM UP (min.) WALK (min.)
- 2-3 5 min. 10 min.
- 2-3 5 10
- 3 5 15
- 3 5 15
- 3-4 5 20
- 3-4 5 20
- 3-4 5 25
- 3-4 5 25
- 4 5 30
- 4 5 30
- 4 5 35
- 4 5 35
INCREASING WALKING INTENSITY
ADD INTERVALS – Nothing burns fat like interval training. Just like swimming, cycling or any other exercise you can add intervals to your walking plan. Simply increase your speed / or add some hilly terrain / or climb some stairs for a few minutes. This will massively boost calories burned and your fitness levels!
While walking faster, focus on swinging your arms. The extra arm movement will help you burn more calories.
HOW FAST ARE A STROLL, BRISK AND POWER WALK?
STROLL – This is a window-shopping type pace. On the RPE (Rating of Perceived Exertion) scale, it’s an intensity of about 4 out of 10.
BRISK WALK – This is an intensity of 5 – 6 out of 10 on the RPE scale. You can carry on a conversation but will need to catch your breath every few sentences.
POWER WALK – On the RPE scale it’s about a 7 or 8. You can still talk, but only in short spurts of 3-4 words.
FINDING YOUR CURRENT PACE
To find your current pace, go to your local high school running track (it should measure one-quarter of a mile) or take a drive and measure a mile around the neighborhood with your car’s odometer. Then go out and walk the mile. If it takes you 20 minutes, that’s 3 mph (miles per hour); 15 minutes is 4 mph, 12 minutes is a highly athletic 5 mph (or 8km/h). The brisker your pace, the more calories you will burn.
If your pace is 3 mph – don’t worry! Walk regularly, and within 3 weeks, your pace and endurance will increase.
HOW TO KEEP IT INTERESTING
Walking the same old track can become boring.
Ideas for keeping your routine interesting:
Walk outdoors in different parks, different neighborhoods…
Bring along music to enjoy and motivate you
Don’t let cold winter weather hold you back from your daily walk
You can also invite a family member or friend along