There’s no doubt you’ve already heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. That’s absolutely correct and with good reason. Breakfast kick-starts your metabolism, helps you burn calories throughout the day, and gives you the energy you need. But, these are just a few reasons why it’s the most important meal of the day.
TOP 10 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD EAT BREAKFAST
Many studies have linked eating breakfast to good health, including better memory and concentration, lower levels of “bad” cholesterol, lower chances of getting diabetes, etc. When you wake up, the blood sugar your body needs to make your muscles and brain work their best is usually low. Breakfast helps replenish it. It also gives you a chance to get in some vitamins and nutrients from healthy foods (dairy, grains, fruit).
Many people skip this meal because they’re rushing to get out the door and that’s a huge mistake! You know an old saying “Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper.” That’s true… To start your day off right, do not skip the most important meal. And… don’t forget that your healthy breakfast should be a complete meal with whole grains, protein, and fiber.
Here are my Top 10 Reasons why you should eat breakfast. Your eating breakfast will help you:
1. Get an Energy Boost – Food is fuel for the body, so eating a nutritious breakfast means you’ll have enough energy to burn, keeping you active and productive throughout the day.
2. Prevent Heart Disease – It’s well-known that cardiovascular disease could be prevented through a healthy diet, exercise, maintaining a healthy weight and avoiding smoking. Take the first step and start the day off right with a healthy breakfast, which has been associated with a lower incidence of heart disease.
3. Enhance Your Memory – If we only fuel our brain with a cup of coffee in the morning, how can we expect it to perform at its best? According to various studies eating breakfast on everyday base may improve memory, as well as children and adolescents test grades, etc.
4. Fight Cravings – If you didn’t have time for your breakfast in the morning, all you can think of (later on) is – a delicious sugary pastry! According to different studies – your skipping breakfast makes high-calorie food seem more appealing later in the day. Our brains crave these calorie-laden snacks to make up for what we missed out on when ‘fasting’. So… Eating breakfast will help you keep fit!
5. Get your daily intake in Nutrients – If you’re trying to get your daily dose of vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, amino acids, and other nutrients our bodies need from just two meals a day, you’re going to struggle. You need breakfast, too.
6. Enhance your Immune System – In order to fight common wintertime colds and flues, it’s important to start the day off right. A Dutch study has shown that a substantial breakfast boosts the body’s gamma-interferon, a natural antiviral that boosts immune function. People who skip breakfast are more prone to infections – because white blood cells, which fight infection, need a morning boost.
7. Improve your Skin – Eggs are popular breakfast food, which does way more than just to fill you up. Eggs are fantastic for your skin! Lutein (carotenoid antioxidant) found in eggs, helps to preserve the skin’s elasticity and protects skin cells from free radical damage. There are plenty of other breakfast foods that will do the job as well, like oatmeal, walnut pancakes, etc.
8. Reduce the Risk of Type 2 Diabetes – Over 29 million Americans have diabetes, 90% of which are suffering from Type 2, which is mainly caused by excess body weight and physical inactivity. Studies have also shown that irregular breakfast consumption is associated with a higher risk of type 2 diabetes in women.
9. Prevent Eating Disorders – Even though skipping breakfast is quite common, it is a form of disordered eating. Breakfast should be your essential meal. It’s necessary to eat breakfast in order to jump-start your body.
10. Live longer – Different studies show that people who lived to be 100 years old were consistent breakfast eaters. Also, those who eat breakfast regularly are less likely to develop fatal habits like smoking and excessive drinking. And thanks to all of the benefits of breakfast, the body has an increased chance of warding off disease.
Choosing nutritious options for breakfast is important for achieving optimal health. Protein, Fiber, Carbs, Vitamins, and Minerals in your breakfast keep you energized throughout the day.
Protein in the morning will jump-start your metabolism. Fiber from fruits, veggies, and whole grains is important for digestion. Carbohydrates are all about energy and are found in foods like fruits, vegetables, bread, pasta, dairy products. Your body uses these foods to make glucose, which is your body’s main energy source. Vitamins help your body work properly and Minerals – control body fluids inside and outside cells, and help turn the food you eat into energy.
Your breakfast can be as simple as a combo of:
- Whole-grain cereals or bread for carbs
- Low-fat milk, yogurt, or cottage cheese for protein and minerals
- Fresh fruit or veggies, for carbs, fiber, minerals
- Nuts or legumes for even more protein
Some healthy breakfast ideas:
- Veggie Sandwiches (with whole-grain bread)
- Eggs (hard-boiled or omelet)
- Warm fruit bowls
- Cheese or Zucchini Pie, paired with Yogurt
- Vegan Breakfast Muffins
- Yogurt with your favorite fruit, etc.
Learn about the Med Diet & its principles that are easy to follow… You’ll notice that these principles (among others) include: Not Skipping Meals & Always Eating Breakfast! Enjoy your healthy meals & food diversity, do some exercises from time to time, walk more, spend more time with family and friends and you’ll be more than fine! These are steps towards your Healthy Lifestyle. The Healthy Lifestyle will help you reduce stress, protect you from different diseases, live a longer and happier life!