There are many foods that bring beneficial qualities to your plate. Combine your favorite Superfoods with other healthy food – at least twice a day, in order to have beneficial meals that will improve quality of your life and long-term health.
Let’s see what American Heart Association says regarding Superfoods answering a question: “Do Superfoods really reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke?”
“The truth”, says nutrition expert P.Kris-Etherton, Ph.D., RD, “is that many so-called “Super” foods are good for your heart and your overall health when incorporated into a heart-healthy diet that’s balanced in lean protein, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, low-fat milk and dairy products…. “
She added: “A lot of people have unrealistic expectations about these foods, thinking they’ll be protected from chronic diseases and health problems. They may eat one or two of these nutrient-dense foods on top of a poor diet.”
Superfoods without support/base in healthy eating habits and other healthy food are not efficient. That’s why Superfoods and the Mediterranean diet are the perfect match.
Healthy eating habits and lifestyle, together with Superfoods is the only right solution and way to improve your health.
There are too many paradigms of Med Diet health benefits throughout years: it’s well known that French people have the lowest percentage of heart-attacks in Europe, Greeks were famous for their longevity (recently changed with growing popularity of low-quality, fast food), Middle East people are well known for their beautiful skin, hair, teeth etc.
Superfoods have various health benefits, but, not all Superfoods are good for all the people. People with different health issues, especially serious ones (Diabetes, high blood pressure etc.) should contact their doctor first.
Let’s have a look at Superfoods division based on disease prevention and combat criteria. This Superfoods and Super Health List have 50 ultimate Superfoods.
1/ Superfoods for Cancer Prevention
1. SPINACH – Spinach is low in fat and even lower in cholesterol, rich in zinc, protein, fiber, vitamins, magnesium etc. The main health benefits of spinach: lowered risk of cancer, reduced blood pressure, improved bone health etc.
2. BROCCOLI – Broccoli is one of the best sources of vitamins A, C, and K. Broccoli is known as a cancer-fighting Superfood. It’s rich in Calcium and vitamin C. Helps weight control.
3. CAULIFLOWER –Is vegetable that deserves a regular rotation in your diet, regarding different beneficial effects on your health: fights cancer, boosts heart health and brain health etc.
4. GARLIC – Garlic not only makes food delicious, it may also have several health benefits. Garlic combats sickness, reduces blood pressure, improves cholesterol levels, may help prevent Alzheimer disease, may lower cancer risk etc.
5. LENTILS – Lentils are low in fat, high in protein and fiber, contain nutrients like iron, zinc, potassium. Lentils benefits: good alternative protein source, can lower cholesterol levels and may prevent cancer.
6. BLACK RASPBERRIES – Studies show black raspberries may reduce tumor growth. They are anti-bacterial and anti-viral.
7. STRAWBERRIES – some of the strawberries’ health benefits: improved eye-care, relief from high blood pressure, various cardiovascular diseases, improved immune system, cancer prevention etc.
2/ Superfoods for Heart and Cardiovascular
8.OLIVE OIL – This key ingredient in Med Diet helps prevent high blood pressure, keeps your heart healthy, protects you from depression etc.
9. SPIRULINA – Spirulina benefits are so amazing that taken daily could restore and revitalize your health! Some of its benefits: it detoxes heavy metals, eliminates Candida, improves HIV/ AIDS, helps prevent cancer, lowers blood pressure etc.
10. PARSLEY – Parsley is the world’s most popular herb with surprising health benefits: it’s kidney stone preventer, anticancer powerhouse, Diabetes preventer and overall health booster.
11. GRAPEFRUIT – This fruit has various benefits: prevents from cancer, protects against Alzheimer’s disease, lowers cholesterol etc.
12. TART CHERRY JUICE – This juice improves: cardiovascular function, immune system, fasters recovery from exercise fatigue, increases brain function.
13. OATMEAL – Reduces your chance of high blood pressure, prevents arteries from hardening, stabilizes blood sugar levels etc.
14. DARK CHOCOLATE – Reasons to love dark chocolate: it helps to keep your heart and brain strong and prevents stroke, cardiovascular disease, anemia, high blood pressure… Improves mood.
15. KIDNEY BEANS – Any vegetarian can tell you that beans are an excellent source of high-quality protein, fiber, carbohydrates, and potassium. As lentils, kidney beans can lower cholesterol levels and may prevent cancer.
16. RED WINE – Reasons to love red wine: it boosts heart health, improves cholesterol, helps manage Diabetes, fights weight gain etc.
3/ Superfoods for Brain & Memory:
17. SALMON – Salmon is rich in healthy Omega-3 fats, high in protein and iron. It decreases the risk of stroke, heart attack, high blood pressure and heart arrhythmia, improves mood, protects brain health.
18. TURMERIC – Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory compound with powerful antioxidant effects, boosts levels of the brain hormone which increases the growth of new neurons and fights various degenerative processes in the brain, helps prevent Alzheimer’s disease etc.
19. ROYAL JELLY –It’s a nutritious substance produced by young nurse bees and contains significant amounts of proteins that are important for cell growth and reproduction. Some of the royal jelly’s benefits: it radically improves memory, boosts the immune system, treats Osteoporosis etc.
20. OYSTERS – Whether you love to eat oysters or not, you should know the health benefits hidden behind the rough shells. So, here are some of the top health benefits of oysters: immune boosting, heart health, improve brain function, good for eyes….
21. BLUEBERRIES – help protect the brain from stress related to oxidative processes, improve learning capacity, improve fine motor skills, help regulate blood sugar etc.
4/ Superfoods for the Immune System:
22. LEMON – The health benefits of lemon include treatment of throat infections, dental problems, rheumatism, respiratory disorders, high blood pressure, while it also benefits your hair and skin. Lemon helps to strengthen your immune system.
23. ORANGES – Regular eating oranges boosts your immune system. Other benefits include cancer prevention, lowered cholesterol, increased heart health.
24. KIWI – Kiwi is high in both antioxidants and vitamin C, making it an immunity-boosting powerhouse. Health benefits of kiwi: protection for oxidative damage that occurs to DNA over time, helps managing blood pressure level with high potassium intake, assists with digestion and removing of toxins from the body.
25. TAHINI – Tahini sauce is made from ground sesame seeds. Research shows that sesame seeds, and thus, tahini have similar immune –boosting, cardio-vascular protective abilities to Superfoods like olive oil, walnuts and other. Tahini helps regulate blood pressure, balance hormones…
26. HONEY – Used as a natural remedy for years, honey is often added to hot beverages to soothe coughs or aching throats. Other honey benefits include: as an antibacterial to fight off viruses, a boost to immune system processes, a possible relief for seasonal allergies.
27. ONIONS – Onions are often overlooked in the Superfood arena because of their commonplace at the table. Health benefits of onions include enhanced immune functionality, protection for the cardiovascular and nerves systems, cancer prevention.
28. CHICKPEAS – Like other legumes, chickpeas are high in fiber, protein, several key vitamins, and minerals. Chickpeas top benefits are: lowered cholesterol, help in weight loss, skin protection, boosted immunity.
5/ Superfoods for Diabetes:
29. WALNUTS – Walnuts are an excellent source of heart-healthy Omega-3 fats, vitamin B, antioxidants, manganese, copper, molybdenum, having excellent health benefits: cardiovascular, anti-cancer, in the treatment of type 2 Diabetes
30. ALMONDS – Almonds are: good for the heart, may protect against Type 2 Diabetes, help you lose pounds and boost your energy.
31. POMEGRANATE – Pomegranate is an amazing and delicious fruit, with various health benefits. Pomegranate’s juice can be a great cure for heart-related problems, stomach disorders, cancer, osteoarthritis, Diabetes etc.
32. ARONIA – Is a soar berry with awesome health benefits: as an antioxidant source, improves blood circulation, helps in the treatment of Diabetes, good for urinary tract health and many other.
33. GOJI BERRIES – Goji berries have gained popularity in recent years. They are: very nutritious, an excellent source of Antioxidants, help prevent premature aging, boost the immune system, help in the treatment of Diabetes etc.
34. ALOE VERA – Aloe gel is used for treating osteoarthritis, fever, inflammation, asthma. Aloe latex is used to naturally treat Diabetes.
35. MUSHROOMS – Although classified as vegetables, mushrooms belong to the Fungi “Kingdom”. Some of the mushrooms health benefits: lowered risk of cancer, good for people having Diabetes, for heart health etc.
6/ Superfoods for Skin and Hair:
36. BELL PEPPERS – Although bell peppers belong to chili pepper family, they are mild, and taste fantastic. Bell peppers have multiple health benefits: reduce “bad” cholesterol, control Diabetes plays a key role in keeping skin and hair looking youthful.
37. CARROTS – Everyone knows carrots offer benefits for eye health but did you know chomping on a carrot helps to maintain beautiful skin? Other carrot benefits: it helps repair skin, protect against UV rays, cancer etc.
38. KALE – protects your skin from exposure and inflammation. Other benefits include increased scalp circulation that boosts hair growth, increased brain health etc.
39.TOMATOES – they’re loaded with lycopene, which makes your skin younger. Also: reduce bad cholesterol, improve sleep and memory.
40. ALMOND MILK– Vitamin E is one of the most important vitamins for skin health, and a single serving of almond milk contains 50 percent of the recommended daily value. There are many other benefits of almond milk: keep eye functions at desired levels, maintain strong bones, regulate blood sugar levels etc.
7/ Superfoods for Bones:
41. BROWN RICE –Brown rice is one of the World’s Healthiest Foods. It lowers cholesterol, has significant cardiovascular benefits, protects against heart disease, affects bone metabolism etc.
42. DRIED PLUMS – Dried plums are sweet & juicy and excellent healthy snack. Dried plum benefits: lowered cholesterol, improved cardiovascular health, immune system, bone health etc.
43. ARUGULA – Many studies have suggested that increasing consumption of plant foods like arugula decreases the risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease. It also prevents cancer and osteoporosis.
8/ Superfoods for Weight Loss: