It’s well known that people who live in the Mediterranean region suffer fewer heart attacks, fewer strokes, live longer and more active lives than many other people from other regions of the world. But why is that? What is the secret of Mediterranean food that makes it so healthy and why is it such a great diet to follow?
In this article, I’m going to share with you 7 Secrets of the Mediterranean diet. So, let’s start!
1. THE MEDITERRANEAN DIET IS MAINLY PLANT-BASED – This means that this diet is reach in fresh fruit and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, and nuts. When you base your meals on mentioned foods, you’re packing your diet with the fiber, vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats that most Americans (and many other nations, too), don’t get enough of. Plant-based diets are also full of phytochemicals, compounds that help keep many of your body’s systems running smoothly. Find more regarding Med diet benefits…
This doesn’t mean that you should avoid meat or any other food. Almost all foods can be part of this balanced and healthy diet. It’s all about how often you eat different food and the portion size you choose.
2. IT’S LOW IN SATURATED FATS – The Mediterranean diet contains very little of the saturated fats that we know to cause cancer and heart disease. Instead, it’s rich in monounsaturated fats, such as Extra Virgin Olive Oil, which is great for your heart and your cardiovascular system.
Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) is an essential component of the healthy Mediterranean diet. It is packed with natural vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It can improve heart health and overall health. The most important EVOO benefits: it contains good fats (Omega-3) – great for heart health, may protect from depression, osteoporosis etc. It is also renowned for its role in promoting longevity.
Another great source of Omega-3 fats is Salmon. This popular fish is incredibly tasty and loaded with nutrients that may reduce risk factors for several diseases.
3. IT’S DELICIOUS – The Med Diet is easy to follow, healthy and delicious! Eating Med Style is about enjoying amazing fresh ingredients, plenty of fresh fish and lean meat, along with different spices & herbs from the region… All these combinations will give you an incredibly tasty menu, beneficial for your health, energy, and longevity.
4. YOU WILL NEVER FEEL HUNGRY – Med Diet is considered to be the best way to lose weight fast and keep fit, too. However, this diet will never leave you feeling hungry. It may sound too good to be true, but the Mediterranean diet provides you with many options for rich tasting food that will fill you up and keep you feeling full for longer. It’s important not to skip meals, to have a variety in cooked meals, to take care of food combinations, eat healthy snacks during the day (fresh fruit & veggies, dried fruit, nuts, olives, low-fat cheese, etc. Read more….
5. YOU WILL FEEL MORE ALERT AND AWAKE – Unlike foods that are high in fats and processed ingredients, which can cause inflammation of the brain, the antioxidant-rich foods of the Mediterranean will keep improve your alertness and concentration. Read about Walnuts and Royal jelly… Other foods that improve concentration and memory are fatty fish – like salmon, flax seeds, dark chocolate, etc. Med Diet also promotes drinking a lot of water during the day (around 8 glasses), which may improve memory and concentration as well.
6. MED DIET INCLUDES WINE – A glass of wine is common with a meal in Mediterranean countries. Many experts agree that a glass of wine a day for women, and two for men, is perfectly healthy. Although there is no clinical proof of the health benefits of red wine it has long been suggested that in moderation, red wine can actually be very beneficial to your heart. Red wine contains flavonoids and a powerful polyphenol called Resveratrol. It’s widely believed that a regular intake of Resveratrol can help reduce “bad” cholesterol and prevent damage to the hearts blood vessels.
7. SOCIAL EATING – There’s no doubt that phytonutrients, minerals and other super ingredients of the Mediterranean diet are key in living a long and healthy life. There is one aspect, however, that may be the most beneficial of all and it’s – Social Eating. According to a study published in Plos Medicine in 2010, eating socially with friends and family can reduce mortality rates by fantastic 50%! It’s a well-known fact, that having fun and laughter is a great way of reducing the stress hormone cortisol. Reducing stress on everyday base helps in minimizing the risk of heart disease and increasing memory function.
There are many advantages of the Mediterranean healthy nutrition which are known for decades. This diet may also help you lose weight or keep fit. It’s not a rigid diet and definitely not based on Cal measuring. Purpose of one diet is not to impose different limits and deprive you of what’s really important for your body. Its purpose is – to help you achieve weight loss results in a short period of time by making simple changes in your everyday eating habits.
If you are to switch to a Mediterranean diet in order to lose weight or keep fit, you won’t need to cut out food, because you will be swapping all the bad foods for the good ones.
Here are some Med (healthy) options:
– vegetable oil or butter – try Extra Virgin Olive Oil,
– unhealthy, processed snacks –try Healthy snacks
– red meat – try white meat, fish, or legumes
– sweets – try fruit, honey, and nuts (always in moderation)…
I hope you liked my article about 7 Secrets of the Mediterranean Diet. You can find more Med Diet tips and tricks Here…
This Diet is a family diet, too. Kids love it! It’s easy to learn How to get Your Child to eat “Mediterranean”. So, don’t waste your time – just start!:)