It can be challenging to find and eat healthy and safe food while on vacation. Following few holiday travel safety tips can easily make all the difference and make you really enjoy your holiday.
How to Eat Healthy while on Vacation?
BEFORE YOU GO:
- About 1-2 weeks ahead, think about any special travel food items or travel-friendly accessories you may want to order online.
- Read reviews on travel review sites (like Trip Advisor) & search for popular terms like organic, gluten –free etc. This can help you easily decide where to eat while you’re on the road or at your final destination.
- Request a mini-fridge in your hotel room or better yet – book a room that has a full kitchen. Most of these rooms include a full-sized refrigerator, 1-2 burners, pots and pans, a coffee pot, a toaster, and more.
TIPS FOR THE TRIP:
- Use a cooler bag -to keep your food and beverages fresh
- Pack food in narrow containers that stay upright and won’t spill.
- Prior to your departure date, search online to locate a grocery store or organic grocers or natural food co-ops at your destination. Upon arrival, find a grocery store and get items you weren’t able to bring. This is also the time to pick up large bottles of purified water.
- Bring along your healthy snacks: dark chocolate, nuts, almonds, dried plums and apricots, goji etc., as well as some fruit.
- Don’t forget your extra virgin olive oil – for use on salads, Feta or other cheese, in sauces, etc. I love Kouzini brand, especially Ultra Premium Kouzini Mini Combo (consisting of 4 practical bottles with four different EVOO flavors). Extra virgin olive oil plays important role in healthy diets, such as Med Diet. It’s good to have your favorite EVOO with you – to add more flavor to your meals and to eat healthily. Read more about EVOO…
IDEAS FOR TRAVEL-FRIENDLY ACCESSORIES:
- reusable forks, spoons, plates,
- a small sharp knife,
- cloth napkins
- reusable water bottles or/and water purifiers for travel
- thermos travel mug and coffee mugs
- bring supplements you might be taking, like magnesium or probiotics / or bags of your favorite tea etc.
HOW TO EAT HEALTHY WHILE ON VACATION – FOOD SAFETY RULES:
- Drinking water safety – Make sure the water you drink is safe. If you’re not sure about water, buy bottled water or boil the water before drinking it. I’d suggest having with you your filtered water bottle.
- Be careful with fruits and vegetables – Those that needs peeling are safest, like bananas and oranges. It’s not enough if the vegetables have been washed – they have to be washed in safe water
- Make sure the food you eat is freshly cooked
- Avoid unpasteurized dairy products
- Be careful of anything that has milk products in it, especially if in hot countries
- Be careful when eating seafood
It can be challenging to find food that we are accustomed to and that we know are part of our Healthy Balanced Diet. The good news is – that Holidays are not the right time to follow a strict diet. Of course, it doesn’t mean we cannot still look out for healthy options on the menu and choose our meals with a balanced diet in mind. If you’re a Med Diet fan (or plan to be), just follow some basic rules and you’ll be fine. Read more HERE… You could also have a look at Med Diet 7-day meal plan, to have an idea about healthy food combinations…
FEW MORE PIECES OF ADVICE
- Don’t skip meals
- Stay hydrated
- Don’t add unnecessary sugar and salt to your meals
- Keep energy balance in mind – Keep yourself from overeating and try to incorporate physical activity into your daily routine while on vacation like walking, playing volleyball in the pool, doing more sightseeing etc.
- Regarding restaurants… When you head to a new restaurant, it’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of eating out, which can lead to impulsive eating. To combat this, check out the surrounding restaurants you may want to try in advance and choose meals that are appealing but fit within the parameters of your diet.
While all of these tips can help you eat healthy food while traveling and on vacation, the most important thing you can do throughout your trip is to avoid stress about food. Enjoy yourself and the opportunity to travel. And… don’t miss out on exploring new, local cuisines and what they have to offer.