GREEK SALAD WITH LETTUCE RECIPE
The Greek cuisine has numerous salad recipes, easy to prepare, with authentic Mediterranean flavors. It’s not difficult to find an awesome Greek salad with lettuce recipe.
One of my favorite salad recipes is a popular Greek recipe called “Salata tou agrou”. The name of this colorful salad means salad from the field/ from a grassy area (agros = grassy area, field). The best period to prepare this salad is in May, due to the availability of fresh ingredients. Luckily, with few changes in the ingredients, you can enjoy this fantastic salad whole year around. It can be perfectly combined with anything baked.
- 2 medium romaine lettuce, chopped
- 200gr Feta cheese, chopped into medium cubes
- 16 Kalamata olives, without pits, chopped
- 4 fresh onions, finely chopped (the white and tender green part)
- 2 medium carrots, preferably organic, grated
- 12 cherry tomatoes, cut in the middle
- 1 tbsp minced fresh dill
- 1tbsp minced fresh parsley
- Salt, pepper
- 100 ml of olive oil
- 1/2 a lemon, juice
- 1 tbsp of white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp minced fresh cardamom (or fresh basil or fresh mint)
- Salt, pepper
Salad: In a large salad bowl combine lettuce, Feta cheese cubes, olives, fresh onions, grated carrot, chopped tomatoes, dill, and parsley. Add a little salt and pepper and gently stir with a wooden spoon.
Dressing: Add the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper in a medium-sized bowl. With a fork or whisk beat these ingredients. Add chopped cardamom (or basil or mint). Stir, pour over salad, toss to combine and serve.
Variation of this salad:
- add 1 yellow or red pepper,
- ½ a cucumber, chopped.
- instead of fresh onion – red onion
- handful corn etc.