Let’s face the fact: many of us don’t even think about the water we drink. We just turn on a tap, fill a glass, and drink. But… What do we actually know about the water we drink? What do we know about water quality and contaminants in water? And finally, why is drinking good-quality water so important?
DRINKING FILTERED WATER BENEFITS
IS YOUR HOME TAP WATER SAFE?
It is considered generally safe if it comes from a public water system. Drinking water must meet strict safety standards. That doesn’t mean that your water is free of all contaminants. It means that the levels of any contaminants don’t pose any serious health risk. Of course, accidents can happen. If the water supply becomes contaminated by something that can cause immediate illness, the supplier must promptly inform you.
CONTAMINANTS IN WATER
Water can contain:
– microorganisms (bacteria and parasites)
– chemicals from industrial waste or from spraying crops
– various minerals such as lead or mercury, that can enter the water supply from natural deposits underground, or more often from improper disposal
Drinking contaminated water health effects:
Lead can cause both physical and mental developmental problems in infants and children. Adults who have been drinking lead-tainted water for a number of years can experience kidney problems and high blood pressure.
Cryptosporidium can cause a gastrointestinal disease that could be fatal.
Nitrates can contaminate water and pose an immediate threat to infants.
Does boiling contaminated water make it safe to drink? It depends on the contaminant. Boiling water can kill germs, but things like lead, nitrates, and pesticides aren’t affected.
Water affects every aspect of our daily life, whether we are using it for drinking, cooking, rinsing food, bathing, etc. We need clean water to safely accomplish these tasks. However, our tap water travels through pipelines and before it reaches your home, it picks up a lot of contaminants (bacteria, chlorine, fluorine compounds, lead). Although the water will be disinfected along with the process, you can’t be 100% safe.
That’s the reason why many people have started using water filters at home, in an effort to make their drinking water safer.
DRINKING FILTERED WATER BENEFITS:
– Filtered water is Tasties & Healthier
– Pure (filtered) water may increase Gastrointestinal Health
– May improve Skin hydration
– May reduce the risk of Cancer or
– Reduce stress
– Drinking pure water is especially important for children/ children’s developing immune systems.
– An increased intake of pure water will enhance:
Your Overall health
– Drinking filtered water can save your money on bottled water and
– Extend the life of your appliances & Home’s plumbing system
– It’s Eco-friendly – Instead of overloading on plastic bottles, go green with a water filter jug, tap or bottle.
WATER FILTRATION METHODS
– Particulate filters reduce sediments such as dirt and sand.
– Activated carbon filters reduce certain contaminants by chemically bonding with them. Some activated carbon filters can reduce contaminants such as lead and mercury.
– Reverse osmosis (RO) filtration forces water through a membrane, collecting contaminants larger than the water molecules. RO can reduce contaminants such as lead, bacteria, parasites, and viruses.
– Ion-exchange filtration replaces contaminants ions with additives that are more acceptable. Ion exchange reduces containments such as cadmium, copper, and zinc.
– Oxidation-reduction filtration converts contaminant molecules into different ones that lack the negative effects. This filtration method can reduce things such as chlorine, lead, bacteria.
-Ultraviolet (UV) filtration uses UV light to remove some bacteria, viruses, and cysts. This method does not remove chemicals.