Detoxification (Detox) Diets and Cleanses are more popular than ever and it’s not surprising that there are numerous products, diet plans, and supplements available on Detox market. If you’re thinking of detoxing your body, it’s important to know about these diets and products, and what they claim or promise. Speaking of Detox Diet Plans, they claim to eliminate harmful toxins from your body and help you lose some pounds. They also claim to help you with various health problems, including digestive issues, inflammation, allergies, bloating, chronic fatigue, etc. So far, so good, but the key question here is – “Do Detox Diets and Cleanses really work?”
Before answering this question, let’s have a look at some Detox Diet features first.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT DETOX DIETS
– Detox diets are based on the idea that the body becomes overloaded with toxins due to various internal and external forces (unhealthy foods, harmful environments, and similar) that should be flush out of the body regularly to make sure that the body’s systems are running properly.
– A typical Detox diet involves a period of fasting, followed by a strict diet of fruit, vegetables, fruit juices, and water. …
– There’s a severe calorie restriction
– These diets are not a way of eating you can stick within the long run, due to their being very strict and usually last from 3 -10 days.
– Level of effort: high
– They often include products that are available only on the author’s website, like herbs, pills, powders, etc.
– Exercise – Not required (you may not have the energy for it, because you’re not getting that many calories)
– Detox diets are not good for people with certain medical conditions and could be harmful and dangerous for healthy people, as well. Any diet with severe restrictions can be dangerous.
– Some of these diets may increase stress hormone levels
POPULAR DETOX DIET PLANS
– 3-Day Detox Diet – This Detox Diet Plan is filled with different teas, healthy smoothies, and meals planned around fresh, whole fruits and vegetables (there’s a plan for each day).
– 5-Day Detox Diet Plan – Based on avoiding sugar, eating meat-free meals, and drinking healthy smoothies ( there is a plan for each day).
– Detox Tea – Based on sipping some Detox tea throughout the day
– The Drinking Detox – Many nutritionists will tell you that the easiest way to lose weight is to give up alcohol either permanently or for a short time. Alcohol is full of calories and may cause you are eating more junk food.
– Detox Diet Smoothie Week – based on drinking Detox Smoothies, made of fresh ingredients,
DETOXING – MYTH OR REALITY?
There’s no such thing as “Detoxing”. In medical terms, it’s nonsense. According to E. Ernst, professor of complementary medicine at Exeter University – “If toxins did build up in a way your body couldn’t excrete you’d likely be dead or in need of serious medical intervention. The healthy body has kidneys, a liver, skin, even lungs that are detoxifying as we speak. There is no known way – certainly not through Detox treatments – to make something that works perfectly well in a healthy body work better.” And… speaking of “Detoxing” – it’s not clear what these toxins are. If they were named they could be measured before and after treatment to test effectiveness.
Detox Diet & weight loss – While some people may lose a lot of weight quickly, this effect seems to be due to loss of fluid and carb stores rather than fat. This weight is usually regained quickly once you go off the cleanse. In other words, Healthy, Balanced Diet & Healthy Lifestyle is a solution that you’re looking for. It’s a proven solution that can help you both support a healthy weight, and maintain your overall good health.
POTENTIAL DETOX DIET BENEFITS
A few aspects of Detox diets may have health benefits, such as:
Eating whole, nutritious, healthy foods
Avoiding processed foods
Drinking green tea & healthy smoothies
Getting good sleep